Biking is an excellent way to head into Woods Hole. The Shining Sea Bikeway follows the coast from Falmouth to Woods Hole, winding along the Vineyard Sound shoreline. Ideal for casual and beginner cyclists, it was built on a former railroad right-of-way, and is level nearly the entire 3.3-mile distance.
Lined with familiar Cape Cod flower and tree species, it makes for a wonderful ride from Falmouth to scenic Woods Hole. This route avoids much of Falmouth’s notorious summer traffic by winding down along the beach, through marshes and through the Salt Pond Bird Sanctuary.
If you choose to bike, here are some areas to park:
- Steamship Authority– right at the corner of Luscombe Avenue and Railroad Avenues
- Landfall Restaurant– in front of the restaurant, next to Candy go Nuts on Luscombe Avenue
- Quicks Hole Taqueria – in front of the restaurant on Luscombe Ave
- In front of Redfield Auditorium– on the corner of Water Street and School Street
- In front of Rowe Laboratory– on MBL campus on MBL Street
- Back side of Lillie Building, facing the Eel Pond