Talk with any local and you’ll often hear that their favorite season for summer activities is actually the fall! While the evening air is crisp, daytime temperatures are still warm enough to enjoy outdoor activities. Visitors will also find there are fewer crowds and dining and staying in Woods Hole is less expensive. Read on to learn why fall is one of the best times of the year to visit Woods Hole…
Outdoor Activities in the Fall
- Enjoy a ride along the Shining Sea Bikeway with less crowds and less humidity. The water temperature is still warm so take a dip in the ocean along the way.
- In the evening enjoy a walk out to the Knob to catch sunset. The summer crowds have left, so parking is available and you can find a more peaceful spot to enjoy the sunset.
- Visit any of the town beaches, as the air becomes drier, sunsets in September and October are some of the best all year! Pack a picnic dinner and enjoy the beautiful view!
Fall Dining and Lodging in the Woods Hole Area
Dining and staying in Woods Hole in the fall means less crowds so you can more easily get a seat at your favorite restaurant or book that special room at the inn.
- Enjoy the waterfront table at Landfall Restaurant that’s always full in the summer and catch some of the most spectacular sunsets over Great Harbor in September and October.
- Once cooler, enjoy a cozy dinner by the wood stove at the Captain Kidd Restaurant.
- All Woods Hole hotels are open year-round and offer off-season rates.
Special Fall Events in Falmouth
Looking for fall-specific activities? We have those too! There are many opportunities for family fun, but here are a few of our favorites.
- Falmouth in the Fall road race on Sunday, November 14 begins in Woods Hole and follows the same course as the Falmouth Road Race.
- Hop on your bike to visit some of the harvest festivals in town. On Saturday, October 9, enjoy fall activities at Pumpkin Day at Bourne Farm located off the Shining Sea Bikeway. Kids can enjoy pony rides, picking pumpkins, face painting, a petting zoo, bounce house and crafts.
- Pumpkin picking and harvest activities at Tony Andrews Farm.
Come enjoy a visit to Woods Hole in the fall and you’ll realize why so many locals call this place home!