After a long year of remote learning, summer has arrived! A family visit to Woods Hole is the answer for parents looking to get their kids away from computer screens, involved in fun outdoor activities, and engaged in hands-on learning. Most restaurants in Woods Hole offer kids’ menus and a few have casual outdoor seating areas where parents can relax!
Read on to discover ways for both kids and parents to spend a day or a weekend in Woods Hole!
A Day Trip to the Village of Woods Hole
There are so many wonderful activities for families to enjoy in Woods Hole. Here are a few highlights to hit if you have one day to spend here:
- Shining Sea Bikeway – Families who opt not to drive to Woods Hole can travel on this paved bike path which is accessible to all ages and abilities. The smooth, level bike path will appeal to cyclists, walkers and families with strollers. Upon arriving into Woods Hole, have the kids select a delicious craft donut from Jimmy’s Classic Eats for a special morning treat.
- Taft’s Playground – After breakfast head over to this playground off School Street, across from Eel Pond and the Belltower. Kids will find a large play structure, numerous swings, sand to play in and an expansive lawn to run around or kick a ball.
- Woods Hole Science Aquarium – A great spot to visit after the playground is the aquarium. Due to COVID-19 precautions the aquarium is currently closed, but check their website for updates on reopening. The aquarium is home to numerous species of marine animals found in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic waters. As the aquarium is currently closed, kids can still experience marine life at the local beach.
- Stoney Beach – Kids can explore the beach to discover hermit crabs and starfish. Bring along a sandwich from Woods Hole Market and Provisions for a family picnic.
- Drawbridge Viewing – On the way back from the beach, walk along Water Street so the kids can watch the drawbridge go up and down as the boats enter and exit Eel Harbor. The bridge goes up about every half hour in summer. Finally, end the fun-filled day by enjoying an ice cream cone or sweet treat from Candy Go Nuts.
Family Friendly Lodging in Woods Hole
If you are staying in Woods Hole for the weekend some lodging options cater toward families:
- The Woods Hole Passage Inn – has an expansive lawn with games and areas to run around. The inn offers Pack ‘N Plays and baby monitors in rooms. Bikes are available for guest use. The inn even provides beach towels and chairs, fishing nets and sand buckets!
- The Treehouse Lodge – has a fire pit and yard games for families to relax and unwind after a busy day.
- Family Friendly Dining – After a day spent exploring the village of Woods Hole, enjoy dinner on the outdoor patio at Landfall Restaurant or sit on the dock at Shuckers Famous Raw Bar. Both spots offer a relaxed atmosphere and kids’ meals.
- Day Trips from Woods Hole – Families who are visiting for the weekend will enjoy a trip on the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard or a day spent exploring the other areas of Falmouth along the Shining Sea Bikeway. Finish your day with a casual dinner on the deck at Quicks Hole Taqueria.
- Science Exhibit – Stop by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Discovery Center where the kids can learn about ocean science research and exploration. Kids will be entertained by the interactive exhibit on the discovery of the Titanic.
- Shopping – WHOI Gift Shop carries clothing and books for all ages, educational toys and jewelry. MBL Associates Gift Shop has toys, games, jewelry, and other souvenirs. Soft As A Grape sells Cape Cod and Woods Hole apparel for kids and adults, accessories, gifts and jewelry.
With so many options for activities and dining, every member of the family will leave Woods Hole satisfied and eager to return!